New bans for grassroots players who abuse officials

The Football Association is introducing tough new rules to crack down on players who abuse officials at grassroots level.

The rules are as follows:

– Minimum five-year ban for players who assault an official

– 84-day ban and £100 fine for any players who make physical contact with an official

-Minimum ban of 56 days, or six matches, and minimum £50 fine for any player that threatens an official

The new rules will be imposed from the 2017/18 season.

Have your say!

What do you think about the new set of rules? Let us know your opinion in the comments section below.

Stewart Coggin on Linkedin
Stewart Coggin
Digital Marketing at Teamer
Stewart has worked in sports media since 2002, initially in journalism and now marketing. After four-and-a-half years on the official Premier League website, he switched to marketing in 2012 with sports coaching providers Green Star Media before moving into the world of 5-a-side football with PlayFootball. He now supports the marketing efforts at Teamer.

2 Comments

1. buagh on July 26, 2017 at 10:03 pm

It’s very sad that the new rules are necessary but there has to be disciplinary action and what is any football club supposed to do with any player who does behave in this manner towards officials? Retaining such a player would not be popular with the football community and at grass roots level there would be calls for the club to get rid of such a player.

2. Rob Bailey on July 27, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Any reason you used this picture? Only reason I ask is its one of mine from a club that I used to run

Join the discussion