New FA Cup TV deal could "transform" grassroots game

FA chief executive says record overseas deal could have transformational impact at grassroots level

The Football Association has announced a new overseas broadcast deal for the FA Cup which it says could have a “transformational” impact on the grassroots game in England.

The record six-year deal with Pitch International and IMG, which will begin in the 2018/19 season, is reported to be worth £800m.

The FA has not disclosed the financial terms of the deal, but its chief executive Martin Glenn described it as “a hugely significant deal for the FA as a not-for-profit organisation”.

“It means we will be able to invest even more than we currently do in pitches, facilities and participation programmes to make football available for all,” said Glenn. “It is not overstating it to say that it could have a transformational impact on what we are able to achieve across the country.

“We are extremely grateful to Pitch International and IMG for recognising the value of this wonderful competition – as we are to our other cup partners – and their support will have a direct and lasting impact in helping us to grow the grassroots and making sure football is for all.”

FA logoSubstandard public sports facilities across the country have been the biggest issue facing the grassroots game for years.

Last year’s FA grassroots survey found the quality and availability of pitches to be the biggest problem raised by the grassroots community, who also highlighted concerns over the standard of coaching.

Two years ago this month, the FA announced a £230m strategy to revolutionise grassroots facilities and coaching, including the creation of 150 new football ‘hubs’ in 30 cities across England by 2020.

The first hub opened in Sheffield last month with the official launch launch set for this week. It is one of two hubs set to open in the steel city, with planning applications approved for similar hubs in Liverpool and west London and a three-month window open for other local authorities around the country to express interest.

Now, the new FA Cup cash injection will provide a boost to the FA as they seek to roll the project out across the country’s urban heartland.

Women’s football will also be a “prime candidate” for FA investment, according to the Observer newspaper, which reports that the governing body are seeking to double the number of people playing and watching the women’s game by the end of the decade.

“Only four in 10 girls play at primary school, so the job for the next four years is to capture more of the talent who are playing and develop them more quickly,” Glenn told the Observer.

“It’s expensive, but I maintain any pound spent on the women’s game has a far higher rate of return than just about anything else I can spend.”

The FA’s annual budget for women’s football is set to rise to £17.7m in 2016 – an increase of 16% – according to the report.

Have your say – What should the FA do with the new FA Cup TV money?

What do you think of potential boost to grassroots football from the new FA Cup TV deal?  Do you expect to see a “transformational impact” on the game across the country?

Where would you most like to the new money invested? Have your say in the comments field below.

Image courtesy of TheFA.com.

This article appeared in The Clubhouse – the monthly newsletter from Club Website. To get the best grassroots news, offers and competitions straight to your inbox every month, sign up today!

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

5 Comments

1. DES on October 26, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Great to see FA get such a cash boost especially as FA cup can start to get some ogf its old style Glory back!.
    How should they spend the money? Easy! Floodlit all weather pitches with adult sunday football switched to afternoon games while junior switched to morning.
    Think these changes would make GIGANTIC positive affect to Grass roots football.

2. David Simpson on October 26, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Who keeps the facility hire profit in the Community Hubs ?? the FA ???
    or grass root clubs ??
    £100k to £150 k per 3G pitch less sink fund

3. Karl on October 26, 2016 at 9:37 pm

30 new hubs in cities.

I run a team at a club in rural Staffordshire, we have in excess of 20 teams, there are other clubs within a few miles who run multiple teams – none of us are in a city.
    The FA should be looking at an even countrywide spread like in Germany and Holland, to give everyone an opportunity. This article states 3 new facilities from this project in Sheffield alone – so 10% in one of the countries smaller cities ?
    The FA needs to be realistic and realise not everyone can access inner city facilities.

4. Sharon Jones on October 26, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Is any help going to be given to rural grassroots as well as inner cities?

5. Richard on October 27, 2016 at 10:51 am

I live in Exeter Devon it seems to me that we do not get any investment in the young in Exeter. Two of my grand kids are playing football one with Exeter City and one is on trial at Plymouth City but I no better than most that in league football that in bad weather we can not play so my point is could you tell me the money is not going stop at Bristol. ( may be you will not forget Exeter and the Rest of Devon normal.

Richard

Join the discussion