Welsh grassroots award winners announced

Grassroots football clubs and individuals honoured at the Welsh Community Football Awards 2016

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) has honoured clubs and individuals from across the grassroots game at its 2016 Community Awards.

Winners were crowned across nine categories, including club and coach of the year, at a star-studded ceremony at the Cardiff City Stadium before Wales’ recent World Cup qualifier with Georgia.

Among those to present awards were former Welsh internationals Ian Rush, Danny Gabbidon and Ryan Giggs, Wales women’s international Helen Ward and Capital FM presenter Polly James.

Giggs, who is the Head of Welsh Football for McDonald’s – FA partners and sponsors of the community awards across all four home nations – also took part in a Q&A session, in which he talked about his first break in the game at grassroots level.

“I was spotted by a coach who was also a milkman,” said the former Manchester United star, who is now a pundit on Sky Sports.

“He ran the local Sunday League team and he saw me playing for my school on the way home from his round. He parked his milk float and came over to watch me play. The rest is history.”

Congratulations to all of the winners from everyone here at Club Website – keep up the good work!

McDonald’s Welsh Community Football Award Winners 2016

Community Club of the Year – Canton Rangers
Community Coach of the Year – Matthew Lamb, Fishguard Sports FC
Grassroots Impact Award – Game On Wales
Performance Coach of the Year – Sara Hilton, North Wales Girls Performance Centre
School of the Year – Ysgol Estyn (Estyn Primary School), Hope, Flintshire
Young Volunteer of the Year – Lloyd Griffin, Cardiff Met University
Mum of the Year – Stephanie Sear, Villa Dino Juniors
People’s Award – Keiran Howard, Brymbo FC
Lifetime Achievement Award – Herbie Montogmery, Llandudno FC

You can read more and watch a video on each of the winners at welshfootballtrust.org.uk.

Image courtesy of welshfootballtrust.org.uk.

This article appeared in The Clubhouse – the monthly newsletter from Club Website. To get the best grassroots news, offers and competitions straight to your inbox every month, sign up today!

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

Join the discussion