If only I had asked first...

Fancy coaching your child's football team next season? Take a minute to read this parent's letter first

Boys in the wall

So my boy finally reached the magical age of 7 last spring and all the football training, school clubs could now pay off and I could get him on a team.

It turned out the local FA-affiliated club were looking for coaches to run an under-7s team. I jumped at the chance! I knew my footy, I thought, and I couldn’t wait to coach my son.

He loved his football, FIFA on the X-Box, football stickers, Match of the Day etc. What could go wrong?

Well, a few weeks into the season I could see a lack of effort from my boy. My coaching was always fair with equal playing time, no shouting etc, so I was perplexed what the problem might be.

Eventually I had to start dressing him in his kit to get him ready for games and he played more and more like he didn’t like the game. What was wrong?

After a really lazy, effortless display I couldn’t bite my tongue any longer and asked him what the problem was.

Slowly, through tears, he explained that he didn’t actually like playing competitively. He enjoyed having a kick around with mates and loved playing FIFA but wasn’t keen on playing games. Unbelievably, I had never stopped to ask him whether he wanted to play in a team.

My team will now be looking for a new coach, unfortunately, as I can’t see myself staying on without my son in the team, but I wish I had asked him what he wanted before putting my own needs first.

GRF logoSo parents, there will be lots of teams looking for coaches over the summer, so please before signing your child up to live out your dreams make sure they actually like playing football.

This letter was originally published by Grassroots Football - grf-football.co.uk - and is reproduced with their permission.

---

This article appeared in The Clubhouse - the monthly newsletter from Club Website. To get the best grassroots news, offers and competitions straight to your inbox every month, sign up today!

Posted in Uncategorized, Coaching

Save hours each week with Teamer

Take the hassle out of organising your Team with the free Teamer app for sports teams! It takes minutes to get started.

Give it a shot

Popular Posts