Top talent could be lost as grassroots costs soar

Sam Allardyce calls on grassroots teams to help keep players in the game by tapping into available funding, equipment and marketing at no extra cost from My Club Betting [Advertorial]

My Club Betting ambassador Sam AllardyceThe spiralling cost of playing football at grassroots level could be driving talent from the game, according to Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce.

Players such as Jamie Vardy, who have risen from non-league obscurity to spearhead England’s attack, could be lost unless funding issues are addressed.

“The Jamie Vardy story is great for the game,” said Allardyce. “It has been hard not to be impressed by what he has achieved. You can’t help but think that some good English players like him are slipping through the net, in part because of the lack of effective funding for sport at the highest level.

“It is also becoming increasingly expensive to fund local football and leagues are folding, which is terribly sad. It is not necessarily a lack of interest, but the costs of playing are greater than ever.

“We have to find more effective ways of funding sport and give grassroots football, and other sports the opportunity to flourish.”

Allardyce makes a valid point. On average, a council pitch costs £80 a time. Referees’ fees for a season are around £600, league and county affiliation fees are anything upwards of £500 and, if you hire a 3G pitch for training, it will set you back well over £1,200 a year; and that is before you take into account the cost of kit, equipment, player and travel expenses and so on.

Allardyce is helping to highlight some initiatives that are already starting to reap dividends and redress the funding crisis. One of them is My Club, which is positioning itself to be one of the largest providers of grassroots funding in the UK, and Allardyce has endorsed the company’s initiatives by becoming their Football Brand Ambassador.

“The premise is simple,” says Allardyce. “Every club has the opportunity to receive a free, tailor-made betting service. The members and supporters bet via the club’s own service and the club is rewarded with free sports equipment.

“Unlike all other bookmakers, the service gives money back. No less than 20 percent* of net revenues – or £20 in every £100 – return to the respective club for development every month”.

Whyteleafe FC - My Club Betting

Rob Inkle of Midlands club Wirksworth Town said: “The betting service is great – it is just like any other online bookmaker. A few of the lads like a bet and if they lose, the club gets 20 percent* back. There are no catches, no hidden costs and we will continue to benefit from the revenue stream”.

Ryman League Division One South side Whyteleafe FC (pictured above) use the service provided by My Club Betting.

“It’s a fast, efficient service that our fans seem to love,” said chairman Mark Coote. “Not only does it offer a huge range of sports betting opportunities, the fans also know they are supporting the club, too. It was a no-brainer really and a completely free service. Why wouldn’t you sign up?”

Clubs like Whyteleafe who take up the MyClubBetting.com service are helping to ensure that the odds of missing the next Jamie Vardy through a lack of funding are lengthening.

To activate your club’s own betting site just login to your club website and, from your dashboard, go to ‘Customise’ and then ‘Add-on’. Click on the ‘Recommended’ tab and activate the My Club Betting feature, which will then appear on your website. All this takes just a few seconds.

To find out more, call My Club Betting on 01883 772929 in office hours, or visit MyClubBetting.com for more information.

*Terms & Conditions apply

This article appeared in The Clubhouse – the monthly newsletter from Club Website. To get the best grassroots news, offers and competitions straight to your inbox every month, sign up today!

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

1 Comment

1. Les Dodd on April 21, 2016 at 6:18 pm

This is true – costs are rising dramatically and we [MyClubBetting] can help.

Join the discussion