FA to trial energy-efficient floodlights

Government-funded trial to look at energy use of LED floodlights and costs for grassroots clubs

Floodlit grassroots football

The Football Association is set to trial the use of energy-efficient LED floodlights at a grassroots football facility, in a bid to save on energy costs across the game.

The trial, which is being partly funded by the Department for Energy and Climate Change, will monitor both the energy and cost efficiencies of LED lighting versus traditional metal halide floodlights.

Mark Pover, the FA’s Investment and Facilities manager said: “We are currently assessing which ground will be most suitable for the trial. What we hope to do is make a compelling argument to clubs of the long term economic value of using LED as well as saving energy and the environment.”

Traditional metal halide floodlights can cost between £2,000 and £6,000 per year to light one pitch. Costs vary with the level of pitch usage, although 3G pitches tend to generate higher bills as they are used more frequently.

“As it is relatively new, at present LED floodlights costs more to install, but costs will inevitably come down in cost over time as demand increases,” added Pover.

“What we hope to determine is how much cheaper running costs will be in the long term – making business as well as the green case for clubs to switch when they upgrade.”

This article appeared in The Clubhouse – the monthly newsletter from Club Website. To get the best grassroots news, offers and competitions straight to your inbox every month, sign up today!

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

2 Comments

1. Hope on February 25, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Wythenshawe Town Fc are submitting plans for floodlights this I believe would be the ideal opportunity to try and test the new energy saving floodlights.

2. lee bray on February 27, 2016 at 9:11 pm

I have been a grass roots manager for 22yrs I would love led flood lights for grass roots my only argument his that f a. Only want plough money for teams down south &if its not them its pitches where other city like Manchester. Liverpool Birmingham Newcastle don’t get a look in so I would the f a 2 start projects in these city’s & maybe these city & England will benefit yours sincerely a concern g r f fan. Mr lee bray

Join the discussion