Have your say on the government's new sports strategy

The government has launched a wide-ranging consultation on sport in the UK and they want to hear from you.

Faced with a decline in the number of people taking part in regular sport in the UK, the government says it wants to ensure public funding is targeted at those organisations who can deliver in getting people involved in sport.

Launching the two-month consultation this month, new sports minister Tracey Crouch called on all interested groups – including the grassroots football community – to give their views on what can be done to use sport to help improve more people’s lives.

“Sport has such a positive impact on people’s lives and I want to embed participation into this nation’s DNA,” said Crouch. “I want to make sure that the sports sector gives everybody – no matter who they are and what their ability – the chance to take part.

“However public funding is a privilege not a right and has to go to the organisations that can make a real difference. I want to hear views from people and groups on what more we can do to strengthen sport in this country across the board.”

The consultation follows a decline in the number of people taking part in regular sport, with latest Sport England figures showing that 15.5m over-16s take part in sport every week, down from October 2012 levels, when 15.9m were participating in sport every week.

Faced with criticism over this post-London 2012 slump, the government has now called on the public’s view to help address the challenges that need addressing to improve the situation.

The consultation invites people to give their views on 10 broad themes, including participation, infrastructure and coaching – three burning issues in grassroots football and topics included in the Football Association’s new £260m strategy for grassroots football, also announced this month.

Commenting on the FA’s National Game Stategy, Crouch said: “The government shares football’s ambition to improve facilities, coaching and provide more opportunities for people to work in the game – all these areas are included in the Government’s sports consultation that I’m keen to hear views on.”

You can access the full consultation paper – A New Strategy for Sport – and submit your enquiries online via www.gov.uk. Deadline for responses is Friday 2 October.

This article appeared in The Clubhouse – the monthly newsletter from Club Website. To get the best grassroots news, offers and competitions straight to your inbox every month, sign up today!

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

Join the discussion