Scotland star goes back to school

Scotland star Robert Snodgrass has gone back to school to celebrate a landmark for the Tesco Bank Football Challenge – Scotland’s leading football participation programme.

The Hull City midfielder returned to St Anne’s Primary School in Glasgow, where he was once a pupil, to meet some Primary Three (Year Three) students as they received a coaching session from SFA coaches, before addressing the whole school. 

The visit was to mark the fact that the Tesco Bank Football Challenge has now supported more than 5,000 teachers to help them get children more active via in-service training sessions.

Now in its fifth year, the Challenge has seen over 82,000 children from more than 2,000 schools across Scotland take part.

Run in partnership with the Scottish FA, the programme was designed to kick-start a love of the game and to promote a healthy and active lifestyle among Scottish children, who receive six weeks of in-school coaching as part of the scheme.

Through dedicated Scottish FA-led Continuous Professional Development (CPD) courses, teachers are given additional training plans and skills to keep football and sporting activity going on in schools after the Challenge moves on.

Tesco Bank’s Community Programme helps about 70,000 children each year through its partnerships with the Scottish FA, The Reading Agency and the National Galleries of Scotland.

“It was fantastic to come back to my old school today and to see they are so involved in the Tesco Bank Football Challenge,” said Snodgrass. “The fact that over 5,000 teachers have now been involved in these CPD sessions is brilliant because without teachers or coaches I couldn’t have gone on to achieve my dream.

“My love of the game started at an early age and we know that even if children aren’t going to go on and have a career in the game, we can help them to have fun with football and build the confidence to have a healthy and active life.”

Image courtesy of ScottishFA.co.uk

This article appeared in The Clubhouse – the monthly newsletter from Club Website. To get the best grassroots news, offers and competitions straight to your inbox every month, sign up today!

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

Join the discussion