Penalty shootout record for Club Website side Brockenhurst

Hampshire’s Brockenhurst FC were part of footballing history this month when they won a record-breaking penalty shootout.

The club – whose website is powered by Club Website – made the record books with opponents Andover Town by converting the first 29 consecutive spot kicks in their Hampshire Senior Cup tie – an English football record.

The remarkable run began after the game finished 0-0 after extra time and lasted a full six minutes before the Andover’s Claudio Herbert missed with the score at 15-14 to put Brockenhurst into the next round.

The Football Association have confirmed that the 29 consecutive penalties was confirmed by the Football Association as a record, beating the 27 consecutive spot kicks in Dagenham & Redbridge’s 2011 Johnstone’s Paint Trophy win over Leyton Orient.

The record has attracted widespread media interest, with fall guy Herbert thrust into the limelight having missed his second penalty in the shootout, although he is determined not to let the miss affect him.

“I was excited but nervous,” Herbert told the BBC. “I never thought I’d have to take the 30th penalty in a shoot-out. I’ve been involved in penalty shoot-outs before, but nothing like this. There was not so much pressure.

“I would definitely take another one. I’d never shy away from taking a penalty.”

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

1 Comment

1. Philip Rhodes on November 11, 2013 at 1:08 am

Sir.

I do not wish to be a party pooper, but the two clubs from the league I represent Littletown & Storthes Hall of The West Riding County Amateur League, created the record for the most consecutive goals scored from the penalty spot, when 34 goals (17-17) were scored in a Premier Division Cup Tie on Saturday December 29th 2001, at that time is was the also the Guinness World Record for the most penalties taken in a “Shoot Out”

Join the discussion