Football Shorts – Casey Stoney

England captain Casey Stoney runs through some quickfire Club Website questions on her experience of the beautiful game. Don’t worry, it’s just for fun!

Casey StoneyFirst team: The Blue Arrow Boys Team Under 10s

First pair of boots: A pair of Lotto hand-me-downs

Playing position as a kid: Either up front or in behind the front two. I always wanted to be a striker. I just wasn’t quick enough!

Favourite team: Arsenal

Football hero as a kid: Ian Wright

Best place you’ve played football: Wembley

Career highlight: Beating Brazil 1-0 at Wembley (Olympic Games, 31 July 2012)

Low point: Losing 2-0 to Canada in the Quarter Final (just three days later)

Best opponent you’ve played against: Birgit Prinz (Germany)

Toughest opponent in training: Rachel Williams (England, Team GB) I would say. She’s a bit of a brute.

Who’s the worst in training but turns it on for match day: Precious Hamilton (Lincoln Ladies) definitely. Lucky if she even gets to training at time definitely.

Biggest joker: Jill Scott (England, Team GB)

Biggest poser: Sophie Walton (Lincoln Ladies)

Best part of your game: Probably reading the game

Thing you’d most like to improve: I’d love to be quicker

Best thing about women’s football: We don’t dive around as much as the men

If I wasn’t a footballer… I’d love to be a pop star, but I can’t sing.

I love football because… So many reasons… because it has changed my life.

If you haven’t already, check out Club Website’s interview with Casey Stoney and find out her thoughts on what is potentially a fantastic year ahead for women’s football.

Casey Stoney was speaking to promote the Danone Nations Cup, a global grassroots football competition to inspire children to get active and believe in their dreams. For more information visit www.danonenationscup.co.uk

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

1 Comment

1. Jack Bradshaw on April 3, 2013 at 11:10 am

is Casey Stoney steve the under 10s managers sister or cousin

Join the discussion