'Join in' with grassroots Olympic legacy campaign

Sports fans across the UK can become part of the Olympic legacy this weekend by heading down to where it starts for every great champion – their local sports club.

Sports clubs and community groups across the country are putting on special events or activities as part of Join In Local Sport – a new initiative aimed at capturing the enthusiasm for sport generated by the London 2012 Olympics.

The Join In weekend is designed to help capture the spirit of the Games, enabling clubs to convert this once-in-a-lifetime wave of interest into help, support and membership from their local community.

Local sports groups will take advantage of this unique moment, creating a shop window within their communities for the opportunities there are for people inspired by the Games to help out, give time, support, watch or play sport.

Over the last three months over 5,000 events have signed up, representing every nation and region in the UK.

Football is represented, along with over three dozen other sports from athletics to swimming, canoeing to cycling, gymnastics, hockey and karate.

His Royal Highnesses, The Duke of Cambridge is a supporter of the initiative.

“The incredible achievements of Team GB at London 2012 would not have been possible without the work that goes on at sports clubs up and down the country to forge the athletes of the future,” HRH said.

“Join In UK will provide thousands of people a chance to volunteer in their local club or even try – for free – a sport that may be new to them and to experience for themselves, at whatever level of ability, the joy that sport can bring.”

To find out more and see what events are happening near you, visit joininuk.org and enter your postcode, or check out the video below for more details.

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

2 Comments

1. Colin Smith on August 21, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I am a old Teynham Lad, my old Address was
    Number 9 Station Road, and went to teynham to the
    old school when Mr & Mrs Gates were teachers, that is
    back when the war that was on and a landmine droped
    at the bottom of Station road,

I used to play football for teynham youth club
    my Name is Colin Smith or Shaver nickname

And good luck to all of the Club this season. Regards

Colin Smith

2. Colin Smith on August 22, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I dont Have much time to get out on the pitches to see
    what they are like you get some all right and some not
    it is a long time since i have played on any ground as aim 80 this year.

Regards
    Colin Smith
    Hon.Refs.Sec IDFL

Join the discussion