Premier League kit scheme open for 2012/13 season

As the football season draws to close at all levels of the game, a Premier League initiative is helping grassroots teams across England and Wales prepare for next season.

The Premier League Players’ Kit Scheme has reopened for the 2012/13 season, with teams up to Under 16s level urged to get involved so that they can have brand new kit for the season ahead.

Launched at the start of this season, the scheme provides U16 clubs, schools and youth organisations in England and Wales with free Nike football kit and equipment, funded by players of all 20 Barclays Premier League clubs.

£500,000 worth of kit has been made available by every Premier League squad donating £25,000 to the scheme, which aims to particularly benefit those who come from areas in most need of assistance.

So far over 700 teams have been selected to receive the kits – a full set of strips and training equipment – including some Club Website users.

Birmingham side Sporting FC were delighted to receive a new away kit for their Under 14s side having read about the scheme here on Club Website at the start of the season.

“Our team has loved winning this kit,” club press officer and fundraiser Paula Clarke told Club Website.

“They prefer it to their home kit and would wear it to every match if possible. They have worn it to all tournaments that we have entered and a lot of other teams have asked them where they have got it from.”

Sporting successfully applied for the scheme during one of the first two application periods earlier this season. A third and final application phase is now open and teams can apply via the Premier League website.

Everton defender Leighton Baines helped launch the latest application phase when he visited his old primary school in Kirkby, Merseyside to hand over the free football kit and training equipment in person.

Baines said: “It feels great to help the school out with the kit. I’ve got a cousin who works at the school who said they needed it.

“I’m not sure if they were still using the same kit from the time when I was here but by the sounds of it they might have been. The kids seem really happy. I’m sure it will go to good use over the coming years.”

Can I apply for the scheme?

The Premier League Players’ Kit Scheme is open to any club, school or youth organistation that meet the following criteria. To be eligible groups must:

• Be within the qualifying age group: Under 7s – Under 16s
• Include a scanned copy of their Safeguarding Children policy and appropriate Public Liability Insurance.
• Be affiliated to an English or Welsh league and provide the current affiliation number (if unknown this number can be provided by the relevant County FA or Schools FA)
• NOT have received a Premier League Players’ Kit Scheme kit in a previous window

To apply for the Premier League Players’ Kit Scheme, please click here. The final application phase is open until 8 June.

Please note: As there are only a limited number of strips available, the scheme is a competitive application process and bodies applying for the kit will only be eligible to receive one team strip, irrespective of the number of teams they operate.

Team strips will only be awarded to those who fulfil all of the criteria. Priority will be given to those that come from areas that are deemed to be in most need of assistance.

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

4 Comments

1. davelittlewood on May 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm

i would love to win a kit for our junior team
    i send out 60 letters to buisness people and ill be lucky if i get an answer — i walk all over and drop letters in to people to ask for their support
    the weather is no problem im known for doing this by our league teesside junior alliance if its to help keep kids of the street and away from crime i dont mind its enjoyment to me yours dave

2. keiron baker on May 30, 2012 at 9:37 pm

my team is struggling to find a sponsor or even cheap kits .
    so it would be amazing if we won the kits

3. Gavin on June 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Keeping fingers crossed – would make such a difference to U14s team in Bovey to have a new kit – kits are so expensive and we want all kids to have the chance to have a kit, and some parents struggling financially. Great idea!

4. paul joseph on June 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Hi we have just taken over at Port Talbot under 8s and only now heard of this site if you could please email me if it is possible for us to be concidered in this please it would be gratefully accepted thank you very much.

Join the discussion