Goals galore as amateur team wins 58-0!

One-sided thumpings are part and parcel of grassroots football, but spare a thought for Nova 2010 FC who lost 58-0 recently.

The Torbay Sunday League side were hammered by local rivals Wheel Power FC – a record defeat for any side in British football history.

Brothers Robbie and Stuart Bowker scored 28 times between them – elder brother Robbie netting 18 – while eight players bagged a hat-trick or more.

The omens were bad for Nova from the start. Having lost 11-3 at home to Wheel Power earlier in the season, they could only pull together nine players – a man down to their opponents’ 10 men for a game that was living up to Sunday league stereotypes.

Nova trailled 5-0 after five minutes and 20-0 at half time. When they had finally had enough after conceding 50 goals – and one wonders how it took that long – they weren’t shown any mercy by either their opponents or the referee.

10-goal Stuart Bowker said: “At 50-0 they’d had enough but the referee told them they must carry on playing or they would risk being fined.

“After the final whistle a couple of their players shook hands but the rest just got into their cars and drove off, but you can’t really blame them for that.”

Wheel Power player-manager Andy Woodward added: “The referee’s biro went blunt after a while. It was a bit embarrassing but fair play to the other team for carrying on – they were really sporting.

“The result will certainly help at the end of the season if it goes down to goal difference.”

Wheel Power’s goal difference is currently a staggering +171 after 16 games, but remarkably they sit only second in the league behind unbeaten Haywain Hoops.

The league is set to be decided next month when the top two clash on 8 and 29 April.

It’s not all doom and gloom for Nova 2010 either. Despite their record drubbing, there is still one side below them in the table.

Applebys 2011 hold the dubious pleasure of propping up the record breakers, although their run of defeats this season may well qualify for a record of its own.

The side have lost 21 matches, including a 30-0 reverse, six defeats of 20 goals or more and 13 defeats of nine goals or more . Their only points have come from walkovers.

Wheel Power’s win beats Cornish side Illogan’s 55-0 demolition of Madron FC in November 2010, believed to be the previous record.

Dan Pope, Club Website editor

Tell us what you think!

What’s the biggest victory you’ve ever witnessed? Ever been on the end of a drubbing yourself? Is there any point in continuing a game so utterly one-sided?

And how do a team like Applebys keep motivating themselves after the season they have had? Is that just the beauty of grassroots football?

We’d love to hear your thoughts – have your say in our comments field below.

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

12 Comments

1. Steve Halls on March 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Jeeez!

I was once on the end of a 38-0 drubbing as a youngster in a 5-a-side league in Herts.

Our team were all aged between 12-14 and we were put in a league with 18-21 year olds!

We got a real beating! 🙁

Now almost 21 years on I still remember it as if it were yesterday!

2. Steve on March 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm

How ridiculous and pointless! If I was one of the Wheel Power team I would be ashamed. At 10 – 0 I would have got a player or two to swap sides. Forget getting fined by the league, how can this be worth playing?

3. Roger Hodson on March 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I once refereed a Rutland Sunday League game, Wakerley v Pickwell, which finished 0-28, and I thought that was bad enough. Did the Nova match Ref. get a RSI through writing the score down.

4. Sportsmans Arms FC on March 31, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Bit of self promotion here but we beat Wheel Power 3-1, their only defeat in the league so far this season. They are a bit up themselves btw

5. Colin Dorning MBE on April 1, 2012 at 12:14 am

This is not grassroots football, we should adopt what Rugby have introduced. New fair play rules. If the score hits (lets say)10 – nil or a gap of ten goals between the two scores (5 – 15) the game is stopped under the fair play rule. Teams then swap players a little to make the sides fairer and the games is restarted as a friendly match for the rest of the time on the clock or a agreed duration. The game has already been decided, however the lads still get to play further football at a fairer level and more enjoyable pace.

6. Tom Besford on April 1, 2012 at 8:46 am

we won at Ottery St Mary 9-2 and drew to Teignmouth 5-5

7. Barry Perks on April 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm

In the mid-70’s I was the goal-keeper in a team that won 36-0. During the game their centre forward begged me to drop the ball and let him have a kick!

8. Jim Haynes on April 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm

11/11/2007

A very strange thing happened in my game this
    day. On conceding a goal, the striker from the losing side asked me if it was possible to score directly from the kick-off. I said it was, and he “wellied” it goalwards and it went over the keeper into the net. The opposing side then did the same thing from the resulting kick-off, and that went in too. Then, not surprisingly, the first side tried it again, and that went in as well! From 4-0 to 5-2 in three kicks!
    The second side did of course try again, but this time the goalkeeper (just about) stopped the ball from entering the net.

9. simon on April 3, 2012 at 2:46 pm

our biggest win was 17-4 and i thought that was impressive but 58-0 is a joke.

Im sure that once a team gets so many goals ahead the ref is to call off the game as like a walk over victory.

10. Stephen Walker HAFC on April 5, 2012 at 9:44 am

I am the under 12’s coach and when we played in the under 11 league we played a team called Watton. They beat us 29-0 in the cup! But we played them again the following week in the league. And credit to the boys as they all turned up and went 2-1 up before losing 23-2! They’ve got great spirit in the team and are still together winning games this season. But i agree with Colin Dorning MBE.

11. finney on April 10, 2012 at 11:22 am

when i was playing at u’12’s level i remember beating lostock hall fc 21-0 and scoring a hat-rick in the first half myself only to then be subbed by the manager at half time, i now play at adult level and have never seen a defeat like it since, ohhh the days of junior football.

12. Some kid on April 15, 2012 at 9:14 pm

we beat this team 15-1 once

Join the discussion