FA launch new match-based discipline system

A new match-based disciplinary system for adult football in England is being launched at Wembley Stadium this evening (6 June).

From the start of 2011/2012 season all suspensions in open-aged football in England will be based on a number of matches rather than a period of time, bringing amateur football in line with the professional game and the National League System.

The new regulations, which aim to improve the consistency of sanctions across England and ensure player suspensions are fair and in proportion to the offence they have been charged with, follow a successful trial in seven leagues over the last two seasons. All discipline in youth and small-sided football will remain time based.

Details of the new system will be outlined in a seminar at Wembley Stadium this evening, hosted by talkSPORT presenter Mark Saggers.

The two-hour event, which kicks off at 7pm, is available to watch online and will also provide viewers the opportunity to take part in a live Q&A.

If you would like to take part in the seminar you will need to register in advance, which you can do by clicking here.

The evening will also feature a quiz with two lucky winners receiving a pair of tickets to England’s next home game, against Holland on Wednesday 10 August.

Further details on the new system are available in The FA Discipline Handbook – Season 2011-12 and you can email any questions to [email protected].

Match-based discipline system – have your say!

What do you think of the FA’s new match-based discipline system? Are you glad to see the back of time-based suspensions or do you prefer the current system? Let us know your thoughts in our comments section below.

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer
Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

7 Comments

1. stuart lisle on June 10, 2011 at 11:17 am

The suspension should be inclusive of the team the offence was committed against the next time they play.

2. billy inglis on June 11, 2011 at 8:43 am

we have had this system in scotland for years now

3. John Wilkinson on June 11, 2011 at 5:32 pm

We had a youth team player sent off this season. He was automatically suspended for 5 weeks. this meant that he could not play for his Saturday,Sunday or Wednesday evening teams missing a total of 15 games. 5 games for the youth team represented over a quarter of the season. I think that profesional teams would be up in arms if one of their players were suspended for that period of time. The system does need a change I’m all for it.

4. Andy Wood on June 12, 2011 at 8:55 am

I think this new system is long overdue, we had a player sent off earlier this season and he received a 14 day suspension but the two Saturday’s during his bam were Christmas day and New Years day so he got away without serving a ban as we don’t play on those days.
    What I also like is that players can still play for me on a Saturday if they have been sent off for their Sunday team.

5. john wesley on June 13, 2011 at 7:58 pm

But how will oposing teams no if players are banned as if its for a number of weeks and tht player is seen to be playing they can be reported however if its a numberofgames they could say they served the match ban when they havnt. They should bring back the i.d cards like mid lincs do as there are too many players that play for teams when not signed on and there is no way to tell.

6. brian coutts on June 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Match based ban are a good idea.
    What about the appeals how many clubs video matches just in case, another cash earner for county fa’s

7. Graham on June 16, 2011 at 7:28 am

This is a good idea although in junior football players can play in several different leagues and therefore can register for other teams.
    The league from which the offence became punishable should then notify the appropriate upcoming opponents that an individual is suspended and therefore cannot play against there team.

Join the discussion