Graham Poll on the spot for Club Website

Graham PollGraham Poll is one of the most experienced and respected referees of his generation.

With over 1,500 appearances under his belt – including appearances at the 2002 and 2006 World Cup Finals – he has experienced it all: big pressure, big games and big decisions.

It’s been a couple of years now since Graham hung up his whistle, but he’s still using all of his refereeing experience to help out Club Website members with their refereeing dilemmas.

That’s right – Poll is on hand to set the record straight for you lot out there each and every month in our monthly e-newsletter, The Club House.

So if you’ve seen a decision in one of your games that’s left you scratching your head, or if you’ve been stumped by a referee’s call while watching from the touchline, then send it to Club Website’s refereeing guru and he could help you out.

Asking Graham a question couldn’t be easier: you can just post your question in our comments section below or, if you’d prefer, email it to [email protected].

The best questions are answered in The Club House every month and, if you ask Graham’s Question of the Month, you can win personal signed copy of Geoff Hurst and the Hand of God, Graham’s latest book on World Cup controversies.

So what are you waiting for? Get involved now and put Graham Poll on the spot with Club Website.

You can see Graham’s latest offering in July’s edition of The Club House and, if you’re not signed up to The Club House already, you can do so right here.

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer

Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

11 Comments

1. Spencer Bruce Courtis on August 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Is it not time to introduce sending a player off for a period of 5 minutes when issued with a yellow card?

2. Brian Mutch on August 2, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Hi Graham

When does a “high foot” become so high that it is considered a foul?

What factors need to be considered here according to law? eg. Does it matter what how tall the players concerned are?

In my experience, refereeing at grass roots level seems inconsistent on this matter.

3. Ben Greeno on August 3, 2010 at 11:46 am

I think that we should have officials on the goal line even in youngsters football so that decisions are right in crucial moments.

What do you think??

4. Deborah J Thornton on August 5, 2010 at 1:05 am

I agree u need officials on the goal line in youngsters football. Otherwise they would be arguments and disagrements.. The referees desicion is FINAL And you don’t argue with the Ref.

5. Graeme on August 7, 2010 at 8:33 am

Referees on the goal-line in youngsters football…. clearly your not that involved at that age group! It’s hard enough to get one referee never mind getting ones to stand on the goal-line.

Some time the good ideas are out weighed by a bit of though….

6. Alexis Stacchini on August 12, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Hi Graham,

I would appreciate some advice regarding the advantage rule.

When a referee has clearly signalled play on and advantage using both his outstretched arms and his voice after a foul has been committed on the team with the ball and then the team with the ball subsequently loses it, can the referee then bring play back as the advantage was shortlived or should the referee let the game carry on as he clearly indicated.

Alternatively should the referee simply observe that a foul has been committed and then wait a few seconds to see if an advantage accrues without indicating ‘advantage’ both vocally or without outstretched arms, before stopping play if necessary if the team subsequently loses the ball and then informing both teams that no advantage accrued so therefore the game has been stopped to take account of the initial infringement.

When is it recommended to use the first ‘say it show it’ or the second ‘wait and see’ approach.

Cheers
    Alexis Stacchini

7. Neil on August 13, 2010 at 1:37 am

Alexis I am a senior referee and have refereed at northern level as well as Fed level in the BOP. There are two recommendations as to “Advantage” The upper level of games, referees are told by the referees coaches to look at the three p’s Possession, Position, and Pain. If there is an offence and advantage is called, you can’t pull it back for a free kick. In the lower Fed level its up to the referee as to pull it back where an offence has been committed, but no clear advantage has been gained. I personally prefer to show advantage, and if after say three sections no clear advantage has been received or disposed of possession then bring it back to where the offence occurred. Hope this is of some assistance to you question.

8. louis gunnell on August 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Graeme i am a young player in under 14s and want to know have you ever refereed a game for younger children before you became a pro ref ?

9. louis gunnell on August 13, 2010 at 3:37 pm

thought you did a grate job in the final

10. Willie Ives on August 14, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I am colour blind, particularly on reds and greens. Can a referee be colour blind and if so, can he or even a player ask for shirts to be changed if there is a clash between red and green?

11. chris on August 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm

i have been refing for about 2 years now.one of the mean probs i have is that i keep my whistle to close to my mouth and sometime the teams think i am going to blow for a free kick on pen.can you give me any help or is it just a bad habbit i have

Join the discussion