Club Website's lucky 80 look forward to the LSPL

LSPL crestSo, was your team one of the lucky 80?

The draw for the 2009/10 Lucozade Sport Performance League (LSPL) was announced on talkSPORT radio yesterday afternoon as 80 club website teams got the good news they’ve been hoping for this summer – a season long sponsorship from Lucozade Sport and a place in the most exciting virtual league out there.

As part of the prize, every one of the 80 teams will receive a brand new club website complete with snazzy LSPL ‘re-skin’, a new kit for their squad, a season’s supply of Lucozade Sport products, constant sport science support and expert coaching from former professional stars.

Not bad for just filling out an online form!

Now, using the results from their own fixtures, the 80 teams will compete in the second season of the virtual league, powered by Club Website, with the eventual champions winning an exclusive weekend in the life of a top professional team.

Other top prizes include VIP Barclays Premier League tickets and merchandise plus the chance to play at a Barclays Premier League club stadium.

Drumchapel United FC at Old Trafford

2009 LSPL champions Drumchapel United FC at Old Trafford

The 2008/09 LSPL was a roaring success, with inaugural champions Drumchapel United jetting off on an exclusive trip to a European Training Camp.

LSPL Cup winners Alumni FC were rewarded with a place in this season’s LSPL proper, much to the delight of their player/chairman Nick Cockrell.

“We’re really excited about the LSPL” he told Club Website. “We followed it last season online, but it looks like it’s going to be a really exciting season for our club.

“The new kit is going to be brilliant. It’s not the easiest time for clubs at the moment in terms of getting sponsorship deals to fund new kit, so we’re looking forward to that.

Alumni FC were one of 512 teams selected in the second half of last season to take part in the LSPL Cup. Making it through to the finals day at Manchester United’s Carrington training ground took their season “to a different level” and has energised them for the season ahead. “It was a very professionally run day and we had a great day out.”

Coverage of the finals day on talkSPORT radio helped make the day for Nick and the Alumni lads, so he’s pleased to hear the station will continue to cover the LSPL in the season ahead. “That was really exciting for the lads at Carrington and the idea that we can raise the profile of the club is really exciting,” he said.

The 79 teams joining Alumni FC in the LSPL this season may have had less time to get used to the idea, but are no doubt any less excited. In fact, they may still be in shock.

Ryan Collings entered his team, Haydons United FC, into the competition but never expected to be selected: “I was bit gobsmacked really.  You enter these competitions but you don’t expect to win them. To actually win one was pretty amazing.”

So how did they react when they heard the draw?

“There was stunned silence for a little bit and then, as you can imagine, it was like school kids. Everyone was very excited. We’re over the moon really.”

Ryan is excited about to the expert advice and training that the club will be receiving from Lucozade Sport. “We’re looking forward to learning about how the pros are and how we can implement what they do into our own game to make that better.

“You can already see in training, everyone is lifted and a bit more into it, taking it a bit more seriously.  We’ve got our first game of the season coming up so it really was a timely boost.”

Follow the 2009/10 LSPL at www.lucozade.com/lspl.  Good luck to all 80 teams for the season ahead.  Let virtual battle commence!

Lucozade Sport Performance League 2009/10 – participating teams:

Aardvark FC / AFC Canterbury / Alumni 1st XI / Arthurlie United AFC / Avro JFC / Barton Rovers FC / Baysgarth Old Boys FC / Bournemouth Sports FC / Boynton Sports FC / Brooklands FC / Burnopfield Sun Celtic FC / Bustleholme FC / C&G AFC / Cambridge YMCA / Civica FC / Comecon FC / Coton Green FC / County Thistle AFC / Cricklade Town 1st XI / Cwmbran Celtic FC / Deopham FC / East Lancs United FC / Eastbourne Athletic / Edinburgh Southern AFC / Eltham Palace FC / Fishermans Arms FC / Fox and Hounds FC / Galacticos Athletic FC / Garden Village FC / Glemsford & Cavendish United FC / Graig-Y-Rhacca FC / Greenford Gaints FC / Gregson Lane Wanderers FC / Halfway House Morley FC / Haydon United FC / Herongate Athletic Sunday 1st Team / Holbank FC / Ightham FC / Irlam Tiger Moth FC / Lakes United / Lilley Rangers FC / Lingfield FC / Lomond Rock AFC / Long Buckby AFC / LV FC / Mackies FC / Medway 2000 FC / Meltis Mexicans FC / Model T FC / Mytchett CC FC / New Milton Borough / Newark Town / Newquay AFC / Olton Orient / Orbiston United FC / Paisley FC / Panthers  WFC / Phoenix FC / Poole Town Reserves / Potters FC / Real Romelle / Regent FC / Rosehill Utd AFC / Saltash United LFC / Salvation Army FC / Sceptre Elite FC / Seaham Red Star / Snooks FC / Southam United Ladies / Spaxton Rangers FC / Sporting Club Redditch / Stoke Works / Streatham Stanley FC / Swindon Spitfires FC / The Unit / Tideswell United FC / Trispen FC / Westend FC / Weymouth FC Ladies / Wilf Kroucher FC

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer

Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

41 Comments

1. Rob Bailey on August 25, 2009 at 3:12 pm

We have been waiting with fingers crossed all summer for the draw – this more than makes up for going out in the last 16 of the LSPL Cup last season!! Graig y Rhacca FC just got more Premier League!!

2. Chris Cooper on August 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I have to agree Rob we have been waiting all summer also. I can’t believe we have been entered into the LSPL its amazing! Herongate Athletic Sunday 1st want to thank the LSPL for making this happen.

3. Carl Mansfield on August 25, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Gutted we’ve missed out! ah, well always next year…

4. Chris Rix on August 26, 2009 at 12:35 am

This really is the a great way to start the new season. After gaining promotion last season we are looking to go on and win league 2 this season and Lucozade have made it a little more realistic. Thanks to everyone at LSPL.

5. Liam Cronin on August 26, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Still waiting for the email from Lucozade just to confirm we’re in! All the Olton Orient players won’t believe it til we know for sure!

Any of the other teams got an email from them yet? Cheers LSPL.

6. Susan Albrighton on August 26, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Congratulations to all of you who have been picked for the LSPL this year. We were the Club Of The Year and Golden Boot Winners last year, we have raised the bar pretty high for the next batch of LSPLians, so good luck to you all. From all at Tipton Town Ladies FC.

7. Mike Dalzell on August 26, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Congratulations to all those who lucked in (jammy gets). Gutted we missed out (Manchester Serco FC) there’s always next season.

8. Robert Nicholl on August 26, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Could somebody put the full list of teams that got picked for the LSPL on this site. Missed the draw and don’t know if we (Mosside FC) got picked. thanks.

9. Club Website on August 26, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Robert – the full list of teams is already on this page (at the foot of the article above these comments). Unfortunately, it appears that Mosside FC weren’t one of the lucky 80. Better luck next time.

10. ANNE-MARIE HART on August 26, 2009 at 9:22 pm

BEEN TRYING FOR TWO SEASONS TO GET PICKED FOR THE LSPL LEAGUE WITH NO LUCK YET AGAIN. JUST NEED TO HOPE WE GET PICKED AGAIN FOR THE LSPL LEAGUE CUP AS WE REACHED THE LAST 16 LAST SEASON ONLY TO BE PUT OUT DUE TO PLAYING A CUP GAME & NOT A LEAGUE GAME.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE THAT GOT PICKED FROM EVERYONE AT STRATHCLYDE COLTS FC u21s.

11. Robert Hutchings-Spi on August 26, 2009 at 10:32 pm

We at Sceptre Elite are very excired about being picked. I never thought in a million years we would get picked this is only our second season as a side and we won all 22 leagues games and cup last season and hope we can continue that on and do well in the LSPL.

12. Robert Hutchings-Spiller on August 26, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Chris Cooper is that Herongate in the Basildon Sunday League? we are a local team as well we are a southend borough comb side.

Liam Cronin I sent the Terms & Conditions back but not got anything yet either am a bit worried lol.

13. Jim Hilton on August 27, 2009 at 10:30 am

We are absolutely delighted that Newquay has been selected to take part in the League. This will further raise the profile of the Club and all our players will be scanning their computers regularly to see how the Club progresses. Best of luck to all those other clubs that have been fortunate enough to win selection to the League.

14. Callum Sheerin on August 27, 2009 at 11:04 am

Absolutely buzzin about being entered into the LSPL as team only been formed for just over a year, promoted in first season and made a few quality signings…ready to make an impact!

15. James Evans on August 27, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Delighted to be selected for the LSPL. Thanks for the opportunity Lucozade!!

Robert Hutchings-Spiller: I’ve also completed the Ts&Cs and haven’t heard anything else yet so hopefully no-one has.

Can someone let us know if they’ve heard anything else yet? Hopefully it will be tomorrow afternoon at the latest as that looks to be the cut-off!

16. Robert Memory on August 27, 2009 at 4:39 pm

LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS, AN HONOUR TO BE 1 OF THE 80 TEAMS (OLTON ORIENT)

COME ON THE O’S

17. Paul Lewis on August 27, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Looking forward to being part of this year’s LSPL. Great incentive for the lads and hopefully we will make a good impression. Garden Village FC, Swansea

18. Liam Cronin on August 28, 2009 at 12:58 am

James Evans and Robert Hutchings-Miller, sorry to have caused you worry, i was talking about even a confirmation email to say it was us in the league!
    We received our terms and conditions this morning and filled them in and sent tonight, as didnt wanna risk anything untoward!
    Good luck to both your teams.

19. The LSPL Team on August 28, 2009 at 9:43 am

Hi All,
    Don’t fret, if you’ve returned your T & C’s to us then we’ve got them!
    Good luck to you all this weekend if you have matches and don’t forget to check out the website when it goes live on Sept 1st
    Lucozade.com/football

20. Thulani Mpofu on August 28, 2009 at 11:25 am

Can’t believe we missed out again for the second time. Am not sure what criteria for selection used is. I guess we just have try again next year. Really dissappointed Young warriors FC

21. Rappo on August 28, 2009 at 3:17 pm

We are Trispen FC and have been one of the lucky chosen teams. Does anybody know what sort of confirmation you get from LSPL? We are absolutely delighted but it would be nice to have it confirmed so we know it’s true!!!

22. Emma Pursey on August 28, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Congratulations to all the clubs in the league this year. Am obviously disappointed to have missed out on it, but hope you all have a great year in your respective leagues.

I’m not sure if any of the chosen teams are women’s teams, but if so, I wish them extra special luck! (If not, why not?!)

xxx

23. Mark Chapman on August 28, 2009 at 7:43 pm

We’re in also thanks to our manager Bob O’Mara, never thought for a million years we would get in but we have. Awesome news, really looking forward to it especially the part where we get our physical condition tested against Premiership Footballers!!! *Puts down cake* – cheers LSPL!!

24. chris rix on August 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Liam cronin, the closing date was at 12pm on the 28th so I am sure we will all get something in the next few days, Everyone at Fox and hounds are over the moon. We will now be looking to contact other teams in the league about a charity event we are holding. if you want details and want to take part email [email protected]

25. David Limbrick on August 28, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Looks like we missed out again!!! http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/sandstonefc/

Is a clubwebsite OK Lucozade?

26. chris rix on August 31, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Fox and hounds fc are totally amazed by the Lspl we would also like to invite teams to help with our charity. for more details contact [email protected]

27. James Evans on September 1, 2009 at 11:14 am

Anyone heard anything back after the T&Cs yet?

28. Club Website on September 1, 2009 at 11:29 am

James & Rabbo (& any other LSPL teams waiting to hear something) – don’t panic!

Please see the message from the LSPL Team further up the comments chain (August 28, 2009 at 09:43).

29. Ian Final on September 1, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Good Luck to you all. Proper gutted we missed out again. Maybe next year it will be third time lucky for AFC Lodge!!

30. Robert Nicholl on September 1, 2009 at 10:11 pm

When will the teams that were selected for the LSPL Cup be known? Teams were to be e-mailed the week after the league draw! Seems there is an extra round this season making 1,024 teams competing. Could you please put list up if its sorted.

31. Michael Campbell on September 2, 2009 at 1:19 pm

All @ Lomond Rock AFC are delighted to be taking part in the LSPL and will enjoy representing the Scottish Amatuer League along with Paisley AFC, who incidentially we play on sat sept 5th in a league match.

Thanks very much to Club Website & Lucozade.

Check us out @ http://www.lomondrock.co.uk

32. Bob O'Mara on September 2, 2009 at 7:03 pm

mmm…. free Lucozade

33. JOHN PEARCE on September 4, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Also gutted we missed out again this year. Must think of a catchier reason for going forward! Best wishes to all who made it though.

34. Henry Willard on September 7, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Absolutely delighted that Potters FC have been selected for the LSPL!! As I’m sure most fellow Managers will agree, so so so much time & effort goes into running a small Saturday/Sunday league side properly & voluntarily, & this truly feels like wonderful recognition for all the hard work! Best of luck to all! http://www.pottersfc.co.uk

35. Robert Hutchings-Spi on September 11, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Anyone else get there pallet of Lucozade today lol? Is there 3 more of these to come?

36. James Evans on September 11, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I’ve got one too! Can’t believe there are three more of these to come! Don’t know what to do with all of the Lucozade! 🙂

Anyone had anything through about the kit yet?

37. Robert Hutchings-Spi on September 11, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I know I saw it and I said is that all for me!! lol I think I am taking 2 cases a game over so eveyone has 2 drinks per game along with the water.

I had an email apparently they are putting a website together together so we can order its gonan be a Puma kit which is great was hoping for nike as both our kits are Nike as it is 🙁 but Puma is great and its free and because I also run a sunday side one of my present sat kits can be my sundays sides away kit so its helped both my clubs all this.

38. Henry Willard on September 11, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Received my pallet today aswell at work – I’m so glad I have an estate car! Just managed to get it all home without damaging my cars suspension! Can’t wait to see the choice of kits! Hopefully we’ll hear something next week?

39. Paul Lewis on September 11, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Received my pallet today. A selection of products which is great. Can’t believe we are going to get another 3 deliveries.

Anyone know whether we will get new water bottles, carriers & training gear etc?

Looking forward to using the products in tomorrow’s Welsh Cup game away at Corus Steel.

Up the Garden Village !!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Robert Hutchings-Spi on September 15, 2009 at 11:54 am

Ordered the kit yesterday only 4 choices but its free so cant complain only thing is you get 14 kits free and GK kit but I got 17 outfield players and 2 keepers so am gonna have to pay for the rest which I will do just abit annoying

41. Robert Nicholl on September 17, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Does anyone know the draw for the LSPL CUP yet ?

Join the discussion