Wembley appearance a 'dream come true' for Cowling lads

Two Club Website competition winners fulfilled every schoolboy’s dream last night when they got the chance to show their skills on the hallowed turf at Wembley.

Alasdair McEwen and Rhys Thomas of Cowling FC won places in a soccer skills session with Alan Shearer before the big game at Soccer Aid 2008.

As the crowds built before kick-off, the players took the field for half an hour to practice some crossing and shooting skills with the Newcastle and England legend.

“It’s s a dream come true”, lifelong Newcastle fan Alasdair, told Club Website after the game.

“It’s unbelievable. Absolutely unreal. We got such a cheer walking out that we felt like professional footballers.”

“I’m still buzzing”, said Rhys. It was better than I could ever have imagined.

“When you were walking out and you got a cheer, I’ve never felt anything like it. I’ll never forget it. We can’t thank Club Website enough.”

So how did the hallowed turf compare to their usual weekend pitches for Cowling FC?

“The pitch was like a carpet,” said McEwen. “For once, I put my crosses where I wanted them to go! I don’t think I’m ever going to change my boots.”

Having finished the skills session, Shearer then showed the lads how it’s done as he scored a brace in a 4-3 win for England over the Rest of the World in a game which saw world cup legends and celebrities team up to raise money for UNICEF.

Reforming the famous SAS partnership of Euro 96, Shearer and partner Teddy Sheringham tormented the Rest of the World team throughout the game.

One first half goal each for the pair cancelled out strikes for West Ham legend Paulo Di Canio and Sex and the City actor Gilles Marini, meaning the tie was delicately poised at 2-2 at the interval.

Di Canio’s second put the Rest of the World side in the lead shortly after half time before Shearer’s second tied the scores.

With 10 minutes remaining England captain Jonathon Wilkes’ free kick slid past keeper Patrick Kielty to give England their second win in the Soccer Aid series.

The evening provided great entertainment to 40,000 Wembley spectators and watching millions at home and helped raised valuable funds for UNICEF’s health, education and protection work with vulnerable children all over the world.

UNICEF helps children to survive and thrive in more than 190 countries worldwide, working with partners to provide emergency support and long-term development solutions.

UNICEF is funded entirely by voluntary contributions. If you would like to donate, click here to vist the Soccer Aid website.

Dan Pope on LinkedinDan Pope on Twitter
Dan Pope
Writer at Teamer

Freelance writer, editor and copywriter, with a passion for grassroots sport. A right back turned football writer, Dan is the former editor of Club Website and has been lucky enough to work in the field of grassroots and community sport for the last 10 years.

Take the hassle out of organising your sports team with Teamer. Organise, communicate and take payments.

Join the discussion